Thursday, March 30, 2006

 

When to leave? Is this a good or bad company?

During my recent change in job I started doing some reading about finding jobs, and identifying the types of jobs I was best suited for. I have continued to do some reading around this general topic of finding work, employment and the nature of companies today. I recently came across an article describing various signs to look out for, telling you it is time to get ready to leave your current job and employer. There are classic things in there about having a bad manager, and about being overworked but never getting the recognition for it.


It started me thinking about whether I could have spotted the failures with my previous employers, before they went too far downhill and I had to bail out. Which made me realise another sign of when it is time to get out before it is too late. I had been aware of this sign all the time, but always presumed it was not critical. However, with hindsight I now believe it is, and should not be ignored.


The sign can be termed: What would you do with this company in this position?


Put yourselves in the shoes of the top executives, whether the CEO, the head of design or development, head of sales, marketing or whatever. Given what you know about your company and the market it operates in, what do you personally believe is the best thing for it to do for
medium to long term success?


If you find yourself coming to a different conclusion than the senior executives in the company, then my advise is to find another job in another company as soon as possible. My experience is that the workers at the bottom, dealing with customers and suppliers (at the coalface as I like to think of it) do know how the company works and what is going on. They are far closer to the reality of the market and their customers than senior management are. And if you think the right direction for the good of the company is different to where the senior management are taking it, then it can only fail. And it is better to get out before it is too late, and either the company collapses or there is a significant restructuring and you get laid off.


I believe that this has applied to all 3 of my previous jobs:


As a kind of postscript to this, I am not unhappy about leaving Sun, only unhappy about ignoring the signs and not getting out sooner. As a result of this I have found a better job, which I find much more interesting and fulfilling than any of the stuff that I was doing at Sun. Really, when you see the signs that things are not right, whether it be bad company direction as in my examples, or working for a bad manager, or not getting recognition, or any other sign, it is really an opportunity to get out of that bad job and company and find a far better one. By delaying the point at which I left Sun, I was really missing out on an opportunity to look for a better job and take it when I found it. I was choosing to be blind to the impending crash, and when it happened I had to react quickly. But it was definitely the right thing to have happened.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?